The fact is that most companies have BOMs and/or Catalogs (sometimes called part catalogs or inventories) stored in Excel. OpenBOM provides a quick and easy way to import your existing BOMs and get to working on them in OpemBOM right away.
The process for importing a BOM or Part Catalog from Excel is essentially identical. The key to a successful import is a properly formatted Excel. Fortunately, formatting is easy and has some flexibility
BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IMPORT. DO NOT (RE)IMPORT AN EXCEL INTO EXISTING BOM, YOU MAY OVERWRITE YOUR BOM. See the help section on Synchronizing Excel changes to OpenBOM.
(1) Begin by ensuring your Excel meets some basic formatting requirements:
- Attention: If you are importing from Excel as a multi level BOM the title of the column must be “Level” and the levels must start be defined similar to 1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, 2.1, 2,2…. etc.
- Property ROW defaults to Row 9 (you may specify on import)
- MUST have some property which will act as Part Number (again, can specify on import
- OpenBOM ignores all formulas
- OpenBOM ignores formatting, fonts, justification
- OpenBOM imports from the the first sheet
- No duplicate property names
- No duplicate part numbers
- No “merged cells” or other advanced formatting in Excel
- There are certain requirements for importing Links
(2) Next, perform the OpenBOM import. In the OpenBOM Dashboard, click the “Import” button and select “Import BOM from spreadsheet” from the drop-down menu.
Now choose your desired spreadsheet from your PC or Mac when prompted.
The OpenBOM import dialog appears with two fields set to defaults: Row Number and Part Number property name. If you have pre-formatted your Excel to use row number 9 and “Part Number” then nothing to do here. Otherwise, set the appropriate values and import.
(3) Click Import
(4) If the Excel file was properly formatted imported Excel will open as a Bill od Material in OpenBOM. That’s it! YOu can begin to work
Return to the dashboard and see your import listed there as an OpenBOM BIll of Material.
View and download a pre-formatted Excel template by clicking, here.