In addition to assigning inventories (also known as parts lists) to a BOM, you can choose what part attributes, i.e., properties, are added to a BOM. This comes in handy if you conceptualize a BOM by starting from a few basic properties such as Part Number and later wish to bring in other properties and values from the assigned inventory. Or perhaps you add inventory properties and values to an existing work-in-progress BOM prior to a supplier chain review. Let’s take a look at both scenarios.
Conceptualize a BOM adding Part Numbers from inventory
1. After creating a new BOM and adding a few properties, e.g. Part Number and Quantity, assign the desired inventories to the BOM by clicking “Set catalogs“. Assign the desired parts catalogs to the BOM by checking marking them in “Available Inventories”. Click here if you don’t know how to assign inventories to a BOM. Click here if you don’t know how to create an inventory.
Part Numbers from the assigned parts catalogs are available for each Item you add to the BOM. Check “Use only Inventory Part Numbers” in the Available Inventories if you wish to limit Part Numbers in the BOM to be only from the assigned part catalog.
2. Click the “Set catalogs” and choose “Add Inventory properties“.
3. When prompted by the “Add Inventory properties” dialogue that will appear on the right, select one or more inventories by clicking “type item name” and choose from the previously assigned inventories. Repeat for each inventory you wish to use. Note: one or more inventories must be assigned prior to this step, otherwise, no inventory will be available for selection from the drop-down menu.
4. Next, select the desired properties you wish to add to the BOM by clicking “type property name” and selecting the desired property. Repeat this step for each property you wish to add to the BOM. Click the “Apply” button when done. Inventory properties will be automatically added to the BOM. Note: The “Reset” command (next to “Apply”) removes the inventory properties and values added to the BOM.
After you click “Apply”, the Properties chosen along with their value in the Part Catalog is brought into the BOM.
Note: Changes made in the part catalog are automatically reflected in all the BOM those part catalogs where assigned.
Adding inventory properties to a work-in-progress BOM
- If you’re starting with a BOM that is already work-in-progress, assign both the desired inventories and then add the desired properties following steps 2 – 4, above. Add additional properties from inventory as necessary.
2. When ready, add additional items to the BOM (Click “+ Item“) and choose the desired inventory part numbers. Properties from inventory will automatically be updated when “Apply” is clicked. You can bring in as many inventory properties as desired, for example, stock level, lead times, etc.